Our eyes are very complex organs with several parts working in unison to provide us with clear eyesight. Sometimes eye disease occurs that hinders or even eliminates our ability to see properly. At the Eye Clinic of Sandpoint in Sandpoint, ID we can help treat and manage a variety of eye diseases.
What Are the Different Types of Eye Disease?
The following are different types of eye diseases and symptoms associated with each disease.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma occurs when the nerves that connect the eyes and brain are damaged. Slow vision loss and even blindness can occur.
- Cataracts - Cataracts cloud the lens of the eye. They cause blurry vision and normally develop slowly over several years.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - This occurs when high blood sugar damages blood vessels in the eyes. Symptoms include blurriness, floaters, and difficulty seeing colors.
- Corneal Disease - The cornea is the clear, outer layer of the eye. Over 20 different conditions can affect the cornea including keratitis, keratoconus, and ocular herpes.
- Macular Degeneration - This disease causes loss in the center of a person's vision. There is both dry and wet macular degeneration.
- Uveitis - This condition involves inflammation in the middle layer of the eye. Pain, redness, blurry vision, and sensitivity to light are all possible symptoms.
- Color Blindness - This condition is often inherited and renders a person unable to distinguish between certain colors.
- Dry Eye - Dry eye is a common condition that occurs when your tears are lacking in quality or quantity. Dry eyes often sting or burn.
What is Eye Disease Management?
Eye disease management from experienced eye care professionals will keep your vision clear and your eyes healthy for as long as possible. There are several ways an optometrist can help you manage your eye disease. Sometimes, changing your contact or glasses prescription is enough to manage an eye condition. An optometrist may also recommend medications to specifically treat your eye condition. Sometimes eye surgery is necessary to manage or correct certain eye diseases.
How Can We Help at the Eye Clinic of Sandpoint?
At the Eye Clinic of Sandpoint, we provide eye and vision exams, contact lens exams, and hard-to-fit contacts. We also treat a variety of eye conditions including glaucoma, computer vision, and eye disease related to diabetes. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us today at (208) 263-8501.